Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I'm building a submarine!!!

So, I got this crazy idea the other day that I would build Brendan a submarine for his birthday (which is just about a month away). My dad made me a cardboard submarine when I was about 5 or so, complete with parascope. I LOVED that thing, but unfortunately, the rain destroyed it only after 4 short months of good times.Well, in order to make this one actually last, I decided that I would make it out of wood. Since I was making it out of wood, I definitely had to draw up some blueprints, otherwise I'd be winging it, which could only lead to shoddy work and then ... disaster.So, here are the sets of plans I drew up in Microsoft Paint.The sub is going to be HUGE. It will be 8 feet long, from bow to stern. It will be 4 feet wide and 4 feet tall. The conning tower will add another 2 feet. What's awesome is that I will be able to build the whole thing for about $250.






Step 1.
Frame the interior space using 1X2 planks and masonite board for the interior. Rounded supports are to be cut out of plywood, and quarter round stringers will provide the ribs that will be covered with rubberized canvas.
Step 2.








Create and mount bridge supports in the bow. Segmented stringers will provide the ribs to be covered by rubberized canvas in the bow.




Step 3.




Frame and mount supports for conning tower. Cover framing with plywood as siding. Insert parascope.








Step 4.








Mount plywood deck to top of sub and fasten rubberized canvas to sides and bow and stern. The kids will enter the sub from the back, which will swing open on a hinge.Waterproof and paint, and the sub is ready to go!










10 Comments:

At Wed Apr 18, 02:10:00 PM 2007, Blogger Scarcely Human said...

Dude... freakin' sweet. Oh my gosh.

I also like the unnecessarily-detailed blueprints. So, can I help build it when I get back?! I don't have to, I suppose... I just like taking credit for other people's hard work. And also... holy crap, that's AWESOME. You should post the blueprints and instructions online - people LOVE that sorta stuff!

And yes, I mean post it more online than that... you're blog isn't THAT popular.

Yet.

 
At Wed Apr 18, 02:51:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great project Mike! That's being a great dad! --Nick M

 
At Sat Apr 21, 09:12:00 AM 2007, Blogger Anna said...

Big talk. You can Talk the Talk, but can you submerse the submersable?

Cool plans, mike!

 
At Sat Apr 21, 09:13:00 AM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, that last one was me. Ben.

 
At Sat Apr 21, 01:44:00 PM 2007, Blogger Scarcely Human said...

I never noticed before, Ben, but when you write your name that way, your middle initial combined with your last name spell out "Phatke". That is cool to me.

 
At Wed Apr 25, 09:05:00 PM 2007, Blogger Scarcely Human said...

Geez, Mike, you're even worse then I am when it comes to updating! Speaking of, I DID update, so where's your two cents, eh? Y'know, ther'll probably only be one more post from Rome for me, but even THAT may not happen if I don't get some feedback here! C'mon man, what's weird about my pictures THIS time?! Or is that why you haven't posted... my pictures are flawless?

C'mon, fool! Oh, and by the way, I'm trying to ration out my seeing-everyone time for the week I get back... when would be a good time to see y'all, the alternate Hichborn family? And, of course, to give you guys a few things. I get back on Monday... not sure if I'll be up to any kind of travel on Tuesday... maybe. I'm waiting to see when Marj is available, and I was thinking of heading to the Front Royal area on Friday. So, yeah. Maybe I should get back to studying for my last two finals, which are tomorrow...? Anh. I'm hopped up on coffee. I'll be OK. Please, do send prayers anyway, though... the mid-term was pretty awful in this class, and I'd like to pass the course. A'ight, gt back to me, man!!!

 
At Wed Aug 15, 09:08:00 PM 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update your freaking BLOG. I think the antedeluvian is on a sub, and it is sinking, down, down, down...

--Nick-Dog

 
At Wed Jan 23, 09:47:00 PM 2008, Blogger Ben Hatke said...

Amen Nick-Doggy-Nick.

I want pictures of the submarine "one year later"

 
At Fri Feb 15, 12:19:00 PM 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks been looking all over the web for someone who has done this . Its for the kids.

 
At Wed Dec 12, 10:30:00 AM 2012, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://ivlkrwnnz.com]TZSsaCKO[/url] - XeEfE , http://hhmgziigpu.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home